Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How can I help my 5 year old son not to be afraid of dogs or any pets at all?

My son is 5 and a half and when he was 2 we had a little dog get into our yard and jump all over my son's back (which was bare because he wan't wearing a shirt) and scratch him up. He has been so scared of little dogs or dogs that like to play ever since. I have so many friends that have dogs and it has come to the point where we just won't go there anymore. There has to be something I can do to show him that dogs are awsome pets. Do i get a dog and let them bond or do I just take him to my neighbor's who has a dog every so often and get him used to their dog? I don't know what to do. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.|||Start going to adoption events where you can be one on one with the dogs. We actually have parents bring their kids up all the time. We are in the same location at petsmart every saturday so its easy to find us and we are always there.





We always have biscuits for the dogs and let the little ones give them biscuits. We really do see many improve over time. I think many do it more as a bonding something "they do" with their kids. And it does help. There are dogs of all sizes and shapes some barking some quiet he will get see many different ones.|||l think making him get use to other people's dogs might help. but getting a small puppy and having it around will help the most. but puppies tend to bite a lot. so l told my sister to go to the shelter and get a dog that was not too old but a adult dog and her little girl got use to that dog and now are bond so close it is almost impossible to separate them|||Maybe take him to a petting farm or something. Or get a very small, very sweet and very cute puppy for him that will grow up into a relatively harmless dog - like a cocker spaniel or a golden retriever or something gentle %26amp; sweet.|||You could try buying him a stuffed animal that looks like a dog. But he may be too old for that to really help him, so I'd say your best bet is to maybe let him get used to dogs a little bit. Put the dog on a leash, and let your son know he can't get to him, but that your son can get to the dog. Just give him time to bond with it. Maybe take him to a pet store, they never have aggressive dogs there (for safety reasons of course) and they're mostly all puppies. Take him into a meeting box with one and see how they do.|||Go to the pound and volunteer to walk some older dogs that are fine with kids. Have your son help you to walk them as well. I wouldn't take him around puppies though, because they bite and that will no help his situation. After he gets used to the idea, you could adopt one of the dogs he's been walking (only if he wants of course) and hopefully he will get over his fear.|||Why not just accept that he doesn't like dogs and not go around them? As someone who grew up as a child being afraid of dogs, my experience has been that when your parents foist a pet dog on you, you learn not just to fear dogs but also to dislike them.|||I'm afraid of dogs too. Esp very active ones.





I guess you really need to start slow. My mum get a little puppy shi tzu that is so harmless and cute looking when it is young, slowly i get used to having dog around. You don't have to force him to interact with it, slowly he will get use to it, and sometimes play with it. Don't expect him to Love Dogs, just let him get over the phobia first is the best.





By the time the little puppy grows up and become big, I'm already use to it. Though I'm still scared of very active dogs, i'm still ok with them being near me (I use to jump around to avoid being near them when I'm younger)





I guess you need to let ur kid grow up a little more so that he will not jump around when he sees a dog.


I think to him, at this young age all dogs/puppies look enormous to him. Give him time. When he is old enough, get a small cuties puppy and let him grow up with it.|||I was deathly afraid of dogs as a child. My parents decided to get a dog to get me over my fear. I was about 7. They got a grown Siberian Husky from a relative and knew the dog was very mellow and friendly. My parents introduced me to the dog and because she didn't attack me and because she was so sweet, I got used to her very quickly. I would take the dog for walks with my parents and I was still scared when other dogs approached, but because I had a well mannered dog with me, I felt protected and this helped me slowly get over my fear. I still have it ingrained in me. Any time I see a strange dog running up to me I still feel that fear I did as a kid, but I can control it now. So it may never go completely away. But without a doubt, my parents getting that dog got me over my fear. I think it's a good tactic, as long as you are certain the dog is kid friendly and not aggressive.|||Maybe take him to pet stores where the doge are either behind glass or cage areas and keep quite a distance between them and your son. that way you and he can just watch them without interaction. Do this for several times until your son realizes that they cannot get to him and he can watch how they play and interact with other dogs in the same pen. Then your son will realize they are playful not trying to hurt him specificaly, with your telling and reconfirming voice . After several times your son will be a little braver and you can shorten the distance between the pens and you and he will adventually want the pups to lick him.|||you might try to find some people in your area that have therapy dogs. these dog visit hospitals to see sick kids and adults. there are therapist that can help you with this problem please do not push the child into petting a dog till he wants to. i hope that he can over come this problem. good luck|||I work at a shelter and we have had several dogs brought to us because they were purchased to help a child overcome its fear and the child didn't, so the dog was kicked out. This is not an option I would rush into.





I really think this question should be posed in a different category - childrearing or psychology. This is not a dog issue, but a people one. If your son is that afraid, simply having a dog around may not solve the problem. I'm terrified of bees, and I'll tell you that having a wasp in my house will NOT make me like them!!!! Get some tips on desensitization for a child.|||i would take him to the local pet store where he can watch the dogs through the glass, watching them this way the puppy are completely non threatening. eventually with a little time and patience he will want to pet the puppies while someone else holds the puppies and he can hold onto you.|||What I would do is start him off with something small, like a hampster or something like that. It will take some time for him to get used to these animals but let him do it at his own pace and don't push him. Take him to the pet shop and ask the people who work there if you can hold the animal. Show him how to do it as well. Let him hold it, but only if he wants to. Gradually move on to bigger animals, like kittens and rabbits, etc. When the time is right, he will understand that all animals will not hurt him, and that he just had a bad experience. I would let him interact with your neighbor's dog only when he initiates it himself. Thats not to say you can't...If he sees you doing it, chances are he will want to also.

No comments:

Post a Comment