Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Is it true according to the Talmud that your pets must eat before you do?

A friend told me that in the Jewish religion the pets must eat first.





Why is this? Where is this in scripture?|||The exact quote from the talmud is in berachos daf 40 a at the end of the line 6 lines from the top (in the standard Vilna edition) (translation by me- if I have made any errors feel free to correct my translation)


Rav Yehuda says" Rav says that is is forbidden for a person to eat before they have fed their livestock. For it says "and I will provide grass in your fields for your cattle and you will eat and you will be satisfied"





so- it is from the Torah (Devarim Chapter 11 v15) and discussed in the Talmud. As for following it- everyone I know that keeps pets makes a point of keepign this commandment. I don't know anyone who doesn't except for those without pets or any animals to look after.|||You seem confused- my name is allonyoav!

Report Abuse


|||If you would like a source for this look in 'Ben Ish Hai'-Behar Bekutai,Halacha 4.

Report Abuse


|||I am still VERY puzzled why someone who claims to have been raised IN Judaism, in an area with a significant Jewish community would not have known something that is so universally known and practiced by Jews, even who do not live in or near Jewish communities and has been since Biblical days?

Report Abuse


|||Mama P- He was obviously NOT raised Jewish, or in a Jewish community. If you want to further explanation look at-'Ben Ish Hai'-Behar Bekutai,Halacha 4.

Report Abuse


|||Gabi, the source is the Talmud, Ben Ish Chai is a LATER ( a mere thousand years or so later) commentator that utilises the ruling from the Talmud

Report Abuse


|||Actually yes, but not many Orthodox Jews do it.





In the Talmud it says something about you can't eat until you feed your animals. It comes from Deuteronomy someplace.





I know this because a relative does it. I know you'll get a more detailed answer but this was something I myself wanted to know. Unusual isn't it?|||Yes this it true.





It's in Berachos 40a derived from the verse


"And I will give grass in your field for your livestock" — and only thereafter — "and you will eat and be sated." Deuteronomy 11:15.





for some possible reasons see the link.|||You must mean like the working animals and the dog has to be fed then the farmer can go inside and eat.


Why doesn't the wife feed the dog while the old man is hanging up his tools?


Eww...how would you like raw fishguts and toilet paper in your soup?|||Yes, this is true. I think I learned this in Berachos, in the page 39-40 area. Look there, and you might find it.|||Yes it is true that we Jews feed our animals before we feed ourselves and that includes orthodox Jews like myself, Ben Meir.


My three cats always get fed every morning before I eat.|||I am a Reform Jew. It is true that Jews feed our animals before we eat.





While I recognize that the asker, the formerly known as "Kosher Cowboy" ( see comments under the linked q here for evidence) and who has previously claimed to have been REARED in Judaism would most certainly KNOW the answer to this question IF he was indeed reared IN Judaism..http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind… ..I'll still give accurate information on this practice





Odd now that the name has changed and it's friends told him this?





And it is far from limited to Orthodox Jews. My mother was born in 1927 and raised from birth in the Reform movement, it is something that she was raised to practice and so was I, who was raised Reform. In fact, it is something that most Reform Jews I know still do. I really cannot even think of any Reform Jewish family I know that has pets, farm animals/livestock or service animals that does not do this.





Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and Reconstructionist Jews follow this practice, even millions of Jews who do not keep a kosher kitchen observe this mitzvah.


If "kosher cowboy" now "Cowboy Jones" had grown up in a Jewish neighborhood..I am certain that this question would have been answered in his childhood.





I grew up surrounded by Baptist, Assembly of God and Methodist neighbors and I still saw it practiced by my parents and other Jews in my extended family..of Orthodox and Conservative movements..and the very small Jewish community of the area ( scattered over a larger geographic area ) of both Reform and Orthodox Jews..of all I know..did this and still do.


In addition to what BMB stated as a source,


..Ahavat Ha-Beriot – – love of all of God’s creations – A principle that encourages appreciation for the world and all of its inhabitants (Leviticus 19.18; Avot of Rabbi Nathan 16).





Tza’ar Ba’alei Chayyim – – the pain of living creatures – A set of laws prohibiting cruelty to animals and obligating acts of compassion and proper treatment of animals used to perform labor (Shabbat 117b; Deuteronomy 22:9).





are the primary sources of this obligation


Jews are obligated to treat animals in our care with compassion (even if they may be only companions, they SERVE us in that capacity) Jews feed our animals before we feed ourselves for the consideration of the feelings of our animals, so that they do not become anxious or distressed in hunger while watching us eat.





Jews have also discovered over the years that for indoor dogs and cats, this has a very practical side, too.





It makes it so much easier to teach a dog or cat not to engage in "begging" at the table when they're puppies and kittens if they've been fed before we are.





My dogs and cats have never been table beggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment