Saturday, November 19, 2011

Does working at a veterinary clinic put my pets at home at increased risk of illness?

I have been offered a job at a veterinary clinic, and was wondering if working with sick animals would put my pets at home at an increased risk of getting sick. I don't want to ask the vet because I'm afraid this is an ignorant question that might make me look bad. Can anyone here clarify the risks that might come with working this type of job?|||It does put them at risk, just like doctors put their children at home at risk. Use common sense...


~Wash your hands often


~Change your clothes when you get home


~Change your shoes


~After a bad day-shower when you get home


~Spray your car with lysol or other antibacterial spray once a week (or more depending on what types of cases you are working with)





You can also look up zoonotic diseases (diseanse passed from animal to human) to see what YOU can be at an increased risk for.





In the end, I'd take the job and just be clean and you wont have any worries.|||Of course, but you can take plenty of precautions.|||Yes, you can bring illnesses home, just like if you were working at a hospital around sick people. Something like an upper respiratory infection in a cat (which causes sneezing) can get on you and you can bring it home to your cat and he could get sick. I use to work at an adoption agency and sometimes the cats would come in (looking fine) but then start sneezing. It is very contagious so they were removed immediately. But once I must have brought it home because my one cat got sick. Just try to change your clothes before leaving and not have your pets in contact with you until you clean yourself up at home.|||I wonder this every time i come home in my scrubs. Two days ago I was activily working on a cat and then yesterday we found out it had FIP, all I can think is, did i wash my hands enough before coming home,did i take off my scrubs right away etc. I would just go ahead and ask. If your really concerned or if you work at a high risk shelter/clinic always wear gloves and change clothes before leaving the clinic etc. If the clinic is a clean safe place that has an iso for contagious cats, you should be ok. in other words if you wouldn't worry about taking your own cats there, and having them in the back, then it's prob ok as longas you are clean and take needed precautions.


Good luck at your new job!

No comments:

Post a Comment