Saturday, November 19, 2011

How long have your pets lived?

I have a cat that will be 22 this month, (I'm 23, so he's like a brother to me). He's still doing really good, he just now has lost a couple of teeth, and misses the litter box a couple of times and he still jumps over the baby gate to get to his food. I also have two italian greyhounds, Phoenix will be a year this 10th, and Maddie will be 3 mo. this 12th.





What about you pets? Have you ever known a pet who lived a REALLY long time?|||My oldest cat is Myrna. She was born in May or June of 1980, making her a very spry 26. Skinny and senile, but spry. I do full bloodwork on her at the hospital where I work every 4-6 months, and I clean her teeth twice a year. (No, she doesn't have many left, and yes, I do use full anesthesia...but it only takes about 7 minutes to do a really thorough job. And I have a lot of faith in myself as an anesthesiologist.) I have had Myrna since she was about 4 months old. She was the ugliest and meanest kitten ever. She has become quite friendly in her old age. A relief to me, as she always used to sleep on my head when I was a little kid and bite my scalp if I moved. She eats well. She doesn't clean herself anymore, so I am forever picking tiny mats out of her short, white fur. My friend Jason likes to brush her. I just can't figure out why...


My last cat, Sir, died at 22 on Chrismas Eve 1999. He had kidney failure, diabetes, and a tumor in his nasal cavity. He was my brother and my very best friend. I miss him every day.


My Schipperke, Nikki, died at 16 on New Years Day 2005. I had to put her down myself. This was 5 days after my boyfriend of 6 years dumped me (yet he didn't move out until March!!) and we had a New Years Eve party anyway. I brought home all kinds of medications from work, and Nikki was on an IV pump in my living room. She started having seizures as her body shut down. Happy Friggin' New Year.


Now, besides Myrna I have:


Bug, a 7 year old brown tabby female former stray whom a friend gave me for my birthday.


Moo Moo, a 4 year old grey long-hair female whom I raised from 3 days old. (Can we say "litter box issues?")


Lil' Thing, a 2 year old grey tabby medium hair female who got ht by a car at 5 weeks of age. A rescue brought her in and we had to amputate her tail, but she is absolutely adorable!


Albert, a 4 year old Belgian Malinois mix, who came from the pound. He is a very needy boy.


Sam, an 8 year old American Eskimo from some cruddy rescue who kept him in an apple crate that was nailed shut. Horrid. He's lovely now. My best boy.


Angelo, a 3 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix from a rescue. My home is his 6th and final one. He is obscessive compulsive, but the meds help quite a bit.


AND finally, The Chicken, a 6 year old Sulfur Crested Cockatoo. There are some fish, too, but they don't have names mostly...except Baby Guppy (still won't grow after about 8 months) and Phinneas the Phinless Betta.|||My cat is 8 and he is still alive





But most cats live to about 10 im pretty sure|||Wow!!!!!!!!!|||Wow! I have never been able to keep a cat a long time. The oldest one I have right now is 3 years old.|||My cats, have only lived to be 13 or 15; the one I have now is a young 9..... The dog, however, is a ancient 16.... LOL I say that because the last time I had him into the vet, she told me that that is the equivalent of at least 93 years old. He is old!!! Over 100 by now, at that rate!|||Your cat outlived any of my cats. That is incredible for a cat.|||My cat is 15 or 16 years old and is still going strong. My dog is 14 and also doing well.|||many


according to their life span|||i had a rabbit that lived 4 about 9 years i thought the darn thing would never die but he proved me wrong %26amp; died 2 weeks ago|||My boxer dog lived 8 years. My cat would of been 5 today if he wasnt murdered.|||kiki r.i.p.12yr bucbuc.r.i.p.11yrs|||no pet.


BooHoo!!!|||My dog is 14 and still goin'|||I had a cat live 15 years, same situation, died when I was a junior in high school.





My current cats are brothers, both 8 years old, doing REAL well.|||My big boy kitty is 15 and my mom had a kitty who lived to 17 despite being an insulin dependent diabetic....








Alley|||I had a Doberman Pinscher. named Lady who was 11 yrs. had breast cancer surgery. Finally had to put her down....|||I have a kitty who is just over 25 years old. She is toothless and scrawny, but still runs around like a crazy kitten every now and then. (She just now stops cold and has to meow for me to come find her - a little senile I think.)|||i have a dog in the philippines whos still alive and is 14 yrs old in human years.hes losing a lot of fur,cant run as fast,and my cousin told me its pretty lazy and sleeps all day.|||My cat Baby lived 17 yrs. My cat Taz lived 16 yrs. My dog Hawkins I had to put to sleep at age 2 because of a rare disease to his breed that was causing him terrible pain. I currently have two cats - Ferrari %26amp; Viper both of whom are 6, a dog Shane who will be 2 in Nov and a 13 week old puppy named Miss Mollie.





I do know a few people that have had horses that lived over 30 yrs.|||weinner Dog lived 13 years name was Bear durn good wagger he was|||Wow! I was surprised that my outdoor barn cat lived to 14. That's crazy! My dogs, both mutts, are 11 and 12.|||My late kitty,Calimazu lived to be 14, but she got sick and the vet couldn't figure out what was wrong. We had to have her put to sleep. Now we have Pounce de Lyon, he turned 2 last St. Patrick's day.|||A while for me, your cats life is like an average, if not slightly long life, with plenty more to come.|||What kind of cat is that? My poodle died after about 17 years and my cat is 12 and still living but is loosing teeth and weight. He won't make it but maybe a couple more years at most. My birds are still babies and should live about 25 to 35 years.|||I have 3 cats and a dog(phoebe 4, Nica 2, Ady 6months, and Cici my doggy is a year in a half) : ) they all seem to get along just fine:) WOAH !!! I thought cats lived like 15yrs! : ) I'm actually glad to hear that they can live longer : )





http://www.twofivesix.co.uk/longest_livi鈥?/a>





check it out! Maybe your cat can break the record! :D :) and yes animals can be part of our family :)








oh and to that guy the bay 510 your dog could be losing it's fur because.. well i hear that if you feed a dog meat or house food it's very likely to lose it's fur : ( My dog was losing it's fur and I found out my neighbor was feeding it house food %26gt;:||||Hi, pets, I love them however it is hard to get new ones. My dog lived a little longer then 15 years but he was too old my mother said so she took him to be put down.





On the other hand, I had a cat that lived to a nice age of 21 years.





Other pets, like mice, hamsters etc. have a much smaller life span maybe 1 year.





Fish depends on the fish. The larger fresh water fish like an Oscar can live for years.





Horses can live to (not a whole lot of them) to past 15-20 years.


Snakes live years. The larger ones of course. I am just guesstimating since I don't have time to look up the EXACT numbers.|||10 years (bird)|||My dog was 15 but she has passed. She had a heart condition.





I've got 2 other dogs, one is 2 yrs and the other is 5 yrs. Both are very healthy.|||you wont belive this one of my cats died at 18 and right now i have a cat that is 10 so ya. i also have a bird that is 17 right now|||u must really b takeing excellent care of ur pets. good job. the oldest cat i had lived to 19, i hve 1 now that is 14 %26amp; doing great. wish more ppl would care 4 their pets as u hve done.|||My oldest dog was 10 years old, but someone poisoned him...other wise he would be 13

No comments:

Post a Comment