Saturday, November 19, 2011

Where do you leave your pets when you travel?

I like to travel a lot but I really want to adopt a dog, an iguana, and tortoises. Should I not have any pets because I like to travel? I would be too afraid to take them with me anywhere or leave them in the hands of some stranger.





What do you do when you travel but have pets?|||I don't travel a lot a lot but when I do go camping or out of state I usually have someone my dog loves watch him while I am gone out of town but when I go camping he comes with me. Also with my other pets I have 3 bettas and 3 sugar gliders and 2 hedgehogs I usually pay someone to feed them everyday. I don't like to make them travel bc its a lot of stress on them and I have a bird so I have sorta figured out what to do with her bc I don't wanna leave her alone so she will either go over to my aunts wit her bird or go to my grandparents where she can still have human contact bc they need human interaction even if it not a lot of holding|||if u adopt a tiny puppy like little ones, u can take them with u and put them in the doggy purse. or if u get a bigger dog put them in a good kennel, or have a family member watch them :)|||you can lend them to a family member or you can take them to a kennel or some pet place where they take ur pet b fore you go out on vacation or something like that i lend mine to a family member to take care of him because i can trust them|||My husband and I take turns travelling so that one of us is home with our pets. On the odd occasion we need to travel together (wedding, birth of a child, etc.) then we have friends that we leave our pets with.|||i usually leave them at home but hire a pet sitter to come and take care of them twice a day for them to recieve care and love|||my dogs go in the local doggie hotel (kennel). it's expensive but i know they are well taken care of|||i leave my pets at my aunt's house|||i have a dog-- a huge one....



i leave him at my grandma's, my uncle's my cousin's or my parent's houses... OR.. i will ask my mom %26amp; dad or any of the others that i trust to stop by the house a few times a day %26amp; play with him %26amp; let him outside to go to the bathroom %26amp; make sure he has fresh water %26amp; food. i only do that when it's like an overnight trip.. and i'll be back the very next day.. if it's a 2 day long or longer trip, i leave him with a family member, so he gets played with %26amp; fed %26amp; watered %26amp; isn't lonely or anything like that. if i can, i will take my dog with me. if i'm driving, my dog goes with me. if i'm flying, i don't bring him, because it will get too cold and i don't trust people that i don't know with his care. my dog- even though he's over 100 pounds, is VERY well trained. he walks on a leash with ease %26amp; doesn't pull- even my grandma prefers walking my dog, rather than her boston terrier! the terrier pulls and strains and chokes himself.. my dog is happy just walking along beside or in front of my grandma.



i don't trust kennels. if you leave your pet at a kennel, research it thoroughly %26amp; make sure to bring the dog a bed, because he or she will likely be sleeping on concrete if you don't..



if you're going to get a pet %26amp; you travel... then i'd recommend getting one that people won't mind taking for a few days... like a dog or a cat. get one whose food isn't weird and gross (like bugs/mice/etc).. i wouldn't get an iguana or turtle. most people will just view them as a pain in the rear end and their food is too gross to make other people handle... a dog or cat most people like %26amp; wouldn't mind watching for a couple days. you'll just have to make sure that it does well around new people.. so getting a friendly breed is important. i wouldn't recommend getting a small dog, because they tend to be very annoying.. they bark a lot %26amp; if you leave your pet in the care of someone else, you need to take that into consideration. barking non stop at every little thing day and night will get annoying for the person.. all little dogs bark like that. i'd suggest getting a larger dog that will bark less and that doesn't have a lot of issues with their hips... so no golden retrievers, labs or german shepherds.



i'd recommend getting a mixed breed dog, because they tend to have more even temperaments and are more solidly built %26amp; not AS prone to genetic defects as purebred dogs. purebreeds are often inbred, so their genetics are very limited. especially in dogs like the king charles cavalier spaniels, whose brains grow to be bigger than their skulls, or boxers who have seizures constantly.



get a medium sized mixed dog.. make sure it's well socialized and potty trained. people won't mind taking care of it for a few days. a boy dog would be better than a girl dog, because girl dogs tend to pee when they get excited %26amp; that is a pain in the butt to clean up. also, you'll have all sorts of male dogs trying to hump her all the time. better just to get a boy dog %26amp; get him neutered.--- out of consideration for whoever you'll be leaving him with.



medium to large sized male mixed breed dog that's well socialized, likes children and doesn't mind other animals, can be walked on a leash with ease and doesn't bark all day and all night... that's the ideal doggy house guest. :)



if you're wondering what my dog is-- he's 1/2 australian shepherd and 1/2 great northern pyrenees. he has long white fur, which is my only complaint of him- he sheds A LOT... but his personality makes up for it %26amp; it's not so bad if he's brushed at least once a day %26amp; bathed once a week. :) everybody loves him %26amp; he loves everybody right back. lol he does not lick people, he is more of a snuggler.. he loves being petted and hugged. he loves babies, he loves kids, he loves adults, he loves big dogs and little dogs, but isn't too fond of cats. xD he's incredibly smart.. if you want him to sit, you snap your fingers once.. if you want him to lay down, you just make a hand gesture %26amp; he lays down--- you don't even have to use vocal commands for "sit" "stay" or "lay down"... :D you can.. but is not necessary. i tried to make him the best he could be, so other people wouldn't mind watching him or letting their kids play with him %26amp; stuff. :) he's a big ol goof ball.. lol if i could, i would have another one just like him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment